“Vegetarians can omit the beef. This is my low carb dream come true. Whenever I am craving a cheesy, ground beef pasta dish this is the one I turn to. This is a version that my husband actually prefers to pasta (yes, I am dumbfounded too)….hope you enjoy!”
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1onion, chopped
- 2garlic cloves, chopped
- 1carrot, shredded
- 2stalks celery, chopped
- 1lb minced ground beef
- 1(24 ounce) can prepared low-carb spaghetti sauce
- 1teaspoon oregano
- 1large spaghetti squash
- 1cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat oil in large pan; cook onion, garlic, carrot and celery, stirring often until onion and celery are clear.
- Add hamburger and cook until no pink remains.
- Drain, then add sauce, and oregano and simmer, covered, about 15 mins or until mixture has thickened slightly.
- While beef mixture is simmering, cut the squash in half and carefully remove the seeds.
- Be sure to cut around the edge so you don’t cut into the squash itself.
- Place face down in microwaveable casserole dish, add 1 inch of water and cover.
- Microwave on high for approx 10 minutes, or until it begins to soften.
- (Alternately, you can cook the same way in the oven for 30 min).
- Let cool and carefully remove inside of squash with fork or spoon.
- It will look a lot like cooked spaghetti and come out in strands.
- Let squash strands drain well.
- Stir spaghetti squash into beef mixture, then spoon into an ovenproof dish and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 15 mins or until browned slightly.
- Top with parmesan and season with salt and pepper to taste when serving.