How to Make Mozzarella Sticks
You’ll find the full step-by-step recipe below, but here’s what you can expect when you make these fried mozzarella sticks:
In three separate bowls: Mix the eggs and water, the bread crumbs and garlic salt, and flour and cornstarch.
Fry Cheese Sticks
Heat the oil to 365 degrees F in a heavy saucepan. One at a time, coat each mozzarella stick in the flour mixture, then the egg mixture, then in the garlic-spiked bread crumbs. Drop the sticks into the hot oil and fry for about 30 seconds, or until golden-brown. Drain the fried mozzarella sticks on paper towels.
Mozzarella Sticks Sauce
Of course, the most popular dipping sauce to pair with mozzarella cheese sticks is marinara (make our simple Marinara Dipping Sauce or buy jarred sauce at the store). Not into marinara? Shake things up with one of these fun ideas:
Southwest Dipping Sauce
A Very Popular BBQ Sauce
Explore our entire collection of Sauces and Condiments.
How to Store Mozzarella Sticks
Store (completely cooled) homemade mozzarella sticks in an airtight container in the fridge for up to five days. Line the container with paper towels to absorb excess oil.
Can You Freeze Mozzarella Sticks?
Yes, you can freeze mozzarella sticks. Allow them to cool completely, arrange them in a single layer on a baking sheet, cover, and freeze for a few hours or overnight. Once the sticks are frozen, transfer them to a zip-top bag labeled with the date. Freeze for up to three months.
How to Reheat Mozzarella Sticks
Reheat refrigerated or frozen mozzarella sticks in the oven. To reheat refrigerated cheese sticks, place them in an oven preheated to 350 degrees F for about 5 minutes, or until heated through. To reheat frozen cheese sticks, place them in an oven preheated to 450 degrees F for 10-15 minutes, or until heated through.
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup water
- 1 ½ cups Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- 2 cups oil for frying, or as needed
- 1 (16 ounce) package mozzarella cheese sticks
- Whisk water and eggs together in a small bowl. Mix bread crumbs and garlic salt together in a medium bowl. Blend flour and cornstarch together in a third bowl.
- Heat oil to 365 degrees F (185 degrees C) in a large, heavy saucepan.
- Dredge a mozzarella stick in flour; shake off excess. Dip into egg mixture. Lift up so excess egg drips back in the bowl. Press into bread crumbs to coat. Place breaded mozzarella stick on a plate or wire rack. Repeat with remaining mozzarella sticks.
- Use a spider spoon or a pair of tongs to lower 3 to 4 mozzarella sticks into the hot oil. Fry until golden brown, about 30 seconds. Remove from heat and drain on paper towels. Repeat to fry remaining mozzarella sticks.
Nutrition Facts (per serving)