These vegan fish tacos are so good! Crispy beer battered vegan ‘fish’ with fresh veggies, vegan feta and the best vegan fish taco sauce! Perfect for Taco Tuesdays.
- Pat the tofu with a fiew pieces of kitchen roll to remove excess moisture. Use a knife to break the tofu into rough 1-inch chunks – I like them to be imperfect, not cubes, so they look nicer!
- Place the breadcrumbs into one wide shallow bowl.
- Place the flour, salt, smoked paprika, cayenne and cumin into another wide shallow bowl and stir together.
- Place the milk into a third wide shallow bowl.
- Take the chunks of tofu and gently coat them in the flour then the milk then the breadcrumbs and onto a baking sheet.
- Fill a deep frying pan with 1/2 -inch depth of vegetable oil. Place over a medium heat and let the oil get hot – sprinkle a breadcrumb in and if it start to bubble and brown, the oil is hot enough. Add chunks of breaded tofu to the oil and fry until golden underneath then flip and cook so it’s golden all over. Remove to a baking sheet lined with kitchen roll to drain. Repeat with the remaining tofu.
FOR THE PICKLED ONION:
- Heat the apple cide vinegar, salt and sugar in a small pot until steaming. Place the finely sliced red onion in a bowl or jar and pour the hot vinegar over. Let it sit for at least 30 minutes to soften and turn pink.
- Serve the hot fried tofu in warmed tortillas (I warm them over the lit gas ring of my stove), pickled onion, a smear of vegan mayo, some avocado and shredded cabbage.
- 14ounces silken tofu
- 2cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2cup plain flour
- 1⁄2teaspoon salt
- 1teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1⁄2teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2cup non-dairy milk
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 1⁄4head cabbage, finely shredded
- 1ripe avocado
- 8small tortillas
- vegan mayonnaise, to serve
- 1red onion, peeled, finely sliced
- 1⁄4cup apple cider vinegar
- 1tablespoon sugar
- 1teaspoon salt